Monday, January 12, 2015

Weight and pregnancy

So I've taken a little break from weight loss blogging because ... drum roll please ... I'm pregnant!  It's kinda hard (and needless to say not so good) to lose weight while pregnant.  In 3 short months though, I'll be hitting weight loss full steam ahead like never before.

I have a new reason to focus on weight loss now.  Before it was all about me.  And, yes, it still is to some degree.  However, it's also about my son.  I want an active, healthy, boy.  One that will run around the yard easily, go on a hike with his dad and me, ride a horse miles on end without feeling tired.  I know that in order to have my son be the best he can be, I need to be the best me I can be.

That's the goal.

Six months into the pregnancy and I've only gained 4 lbs.  That's an awesome start.  I know the last trimester will be the hardest and I'm finding myself hungry all the time.  I mean, ALL THE TIME! I'm resisting the urge to use this as an excuse to stuff my face though.  That's not what having a baby is all about.  It's about finding a balance between eating well and maintaining weight.  It's about having a healthy birth weight boy.  And it's about taking care of myself in the process.

I've been on the border for gestational diabetes since my second trimester and that's given me more motivation than ever to stay focused.  Of course, the holidays threw a couple kinks in the plan, but over all I've done fairly well with staying focused and not letting my cravings dictate to me what I can and should eat.  Taking my blood sugar four times a day has really helped keep me honest!

It's also provided an eye opening vision as to what life would be like if I don't make my health and fitness my next priority after Colton arrives.  Diabetes is no joke and although it can be managed, it's best just to never put yourself in that position in the first place.

So, bare with me in these next three months while I finish building a little person.  When I'm done with that, I'll be back with gusto ready to focus on my own personal health and happiness again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping me a note!