Monday, February 24, 2014

The Weight Loss Vex (or is it Hex?)

Ugh.  Weight loss.  We all hate it.  We all need to do it.  But we 100% can't stand it.  I keep thinking I'm going to get a handle on it, figure it out, write my life story to give the rest of the world some insight, and become rich and famous because, why not?

Instead ... well ... I'm just doing it.  Every day I'm doing it.  Some days I'm doing it well.  I eat well, work out, journal, take care of myself.  Other days I'm not so much doing it.

I'm vexed on the days I'm not doing it.  I'm so annoyed that I have to lose weight it's not even funny.  I mean for gosh sakes, shouldn't I be at my darn goal already?!?!?!?!?  Yes, yes I should.  I'm also vexed because I want the foods I want when I want them.  So there!

On the days I am doing it, I'm hexed.  It's so dreamy.  I'm losing weight.  It feels good.  Life is good.  I can eat something off plan because I'm losing, right?  Popcorn at the movies?  Sure!  A glass of wine at night?  Yep!  I'll work harder tomorrow and eat 100% and then the popcorn won't matter.

Oh please.  Popcorn always matters!  It's calories!

So isn't there a happy medium?  Can't I lose weight and be happy about losing weight without needing to give into the emotional roller coaster of craziness that ensues when I'm on plan or off plan?  My life has become driven by whether I'm eating right or if I'm not.  Literally driven by my weight loss.

It's ok to lose weight and make it part of your life style but living in extremes (extreme loss or extreme gain) isn't healthy.

My word this year is balance. I'm working hard to find that balance in my eating and physical life.  Where do I search it out?  How do I apply it?  How do I make sure I'm living life to the fullest without making it all about the food?

Perhaps I need to start by setting new WAY more realistic goals for myself.  It's not reasonable to walk 7 days a week, but could I do 3 - 5 days?  Yes.  Having a family, being a mom, being a wife, working full time ... and yes, walking 3 - 5 days a week.

Goal #1, set.

As for eating, can I change my thinking about eating healthy?  Does it need to be that I'm lacking something by not eating pizza?  Or could I start to think of it as giving myself a gift by not eating pizza?  Sure.  The gift of "no mental torture"!  So start to combat negative thinking about food and eating healthy immediately.

Goal #2, set.

I suppose I'd like my story a whole lot better if I lost all the weight and just lived at goal weight from there on out.  I don't think I'd have learned much then though.  Learning means I'm putting this part of my life behind me once and for all and applying the lessons to other areas as well.  If I do that, I'll succeed no matter the loss I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping me a note!