Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dating Dieters

It is possible to diet and date ... Who knew? Last time I was dating I was feeling good so I was taking some liberties with my food choices. I didn't pay too much attention if I drank a beer or two, downed a bit of off plan food, or otherwise didn't stick 100% to plan. In fact, I was embarrassed to let these guys know that I was dieting because then I'd need to tell them where I'd come from. That was hard and next to impossible for me to do. When I told TS about my weight history, it was only after we'd been dating for a couple months and when I told him, I was shaking and scared thinking he'd reject me on the spot because of the old fat me I used to be. Wow.

This time around though, I'm 100% focused on my goal and that means staying 100% focused on every one of my eating choices. That's hard to do when most dates want to take you out to dinner, dancing, or some other such food temptation. It's doable though and I'm actually finding it quite liberating.

What I'm finding is that if I'm out with a guy and I don't want to tell him why I eat salad, then I guess I probably shouldn't be out with him in the first place! Not saying that my dates are all about my eating choices, but it is important for me to embrace who I was and present that to someone as the whole me.

It's been interesting to reach this point and I'm not sure where it will lead me. What I do know is that I've never been more determined and focused than I am right now. I feel like instead of hiding where I came from, I'm actually embracing it and moving past it.

This is a great adventure and I'm living it each day.

3 comments:

  1. I never tell my dates I am on a diet. But then again, I never tell my husband I'm on a date. Just kidding. It's a 3 day weekend. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gracie's comment! I'm sure your dates are focused on you and not what you're eating. It all sounds like fun. Your enthusiasm and resolve are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking in Wendy! Hope you are just out enjoying life and dates! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!