Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Down a little

Well, the weigh in wasn't as great as I'd hoped and today it would be so easy for me to wallow in the mire of negative self-talk as a result.

I was down .8 and TS was down 2.2. We were both pretty much on plan (TS had a few minor slip-ups) so I had expected a much better drop than .8. I was hoping for at least 2.

But ... ok ... weight off is weight off. Being down .8 is better than up and if my body was going to rebel against the weight loss thing this week, I'm thankful it didn't hold onto weight and travel in the up direction.

Speaking of which, is anyone watching The Biggest Loser? I know they all have to lose a certain amount of weight to stay in the house but one of the things that really bothers me about that show is how negative they are about the weight they've lost. Seriously people! You're losing a high percentage of your body weight and you're complaining that you're not losing enough?!?!?! Wowza. What does that negativtity teaching America about the weight we're losing? Does that mean we shouldn't celebrate 2 pounds? How about .8 pounds?

I say they have it all wrong. A pound gone today is one more pound than was gone yesterday. That's worth something. They should be jumping up and down with joy at the weight they're losing especially since I know how much of a struggle it is it even lose .8 pounds. Losing is losing and no matter the amount, it's a cause for celebration and reward.

It'd be so easy for me to get stuck in the "it's only .8 and I worked so much harder than that" cycle but I'm not even going there for a minute. Instead I'm focused on the positives.
  • I'm thankful I was down.
  • I'm thankful I'm continuing to work toward life changes.
  • I'm thankful that I have the tools at my fingertips to see this through.
  • I'm thankful that I have the strength to keep going.
  • I'm thankful I have the ability to control my thoughts.
  • I'm thankful that overall, I'm in control of my weight loss and CAN accomplish this journey even if it is .8 pounds at a time!
Next week I fully expect a big drop. I'll continue my workouts this week, eat on plan, and know that my body will support my decision to stay on plan by dropping weight next week. That's generally how it happens.

In the meantime, I'm taking my .8 and celebrating with a manicure on Saturday. I'm 1 pound away from new numbers and I want to reward myself for sticking to plan for four weeks and thus being so close to another goal.

I hope everyone else is taking a minute to celebrate their successes this week. There is no success so small that it shouldn't be rewarded and celebrated!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. I lost 12 lbs last week and then 2 lbs this week. I thought I was a failure. I never cheated. It took me until today to realize that I am doing great and to keep going. A loss is a loss and that is something to be proud of. Gracie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!