Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Boyfriend Factor

Losing weight while in a relationship is harder. I mean, when I was single I had my own set of issues to deal with ... but ... once I'd made up my mind to lose the weight, I could fully and truly commit to doing so with little to no outside influence on my decision. I lived alone. I shopped alone. I ate alone. And therefore I was able to stick pretty close to plan.

Now that I'm living with someone, the dynamic changes a lot. Not only do I contend with my own cravings, but his cravings, and the cravings of his three kids also come into play. I'm fighting hard to keep my boundaries and not allow their food choices to impact my own. But ... man ... I gotta tell ya ... when you're just starting back again, that's HARD!

Last night was a classic situation.

I knew I'd be home late so I planned ahead and had a nice chicken salad before my afternoon appointment eliminating the need to eat at 7:30 when I got home last night. TS worked late but didn't plan, so, on his way home, he calls me from Safeway where he's picking up popsciles and treats.

"Did you need anything?" he asked nicely.

"Carrots," I muttered thinking that ice cream sounded tastier but sticking to my guns on the weight loss thing. The words "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" resounded in my head.

TS came home and proceeded to make a full dinner. After his meal, he was still hungry so he raided the cupboards where we just happen to have some chips and salsa left over from a recent BBQ. He nabed those, sat down on the loveseat next to me, and proceeded to dip, munch, chew, and murmer while he indulged in the salty goodies.

Let me tell you, the crunch of the chips was deafening. It pittered into my eardrums, bounced around in my head, and then came out the other side like an echo at the grand canyon. I was in full craving mode.

Hoping to stave off the inappropriate hunger and chips, I too raided the kitchen and found the carrots he'd purchased. Although not chips, the snap of the carrot would hopefully help combat the crunch of the chips. I was going to test it out.

This plan was working gloriously until TS so sweetly passed the chip bowl directly under my nose and said, "would you like one or two?"

Oh. My. Gosh. The smell of the greasy goodness, the sound of the crunch still in my ear ... No amount of carrot napping could stop of thunderous "YES!" that exploded from my lips.

"YES!" I almost shouted! "But no. And please don't ask me again. I know you're trying to be nice, but honestly, I can't handle it right now."

He backed off and didn't offer me any additional off plan food which I'm thankful for.

Although I appreciate the consideration, I much more appreciate the fact that when I stepped on the scale at THW, I was down 6 pounds.

The agony of passing up on the chips was so worth the big drop this week!

This weekend I'm sure I'll have to repeat the "no" to TS a few times. He's a nice guy an wants to share. I, however, can not indulge. My indulgence comes on Tuesday when I'm down another couple pounds!

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing it.
    The new scale will come up with a moving average curve that will show global weight trends on the basis of distilled daily fluctuations. Another major change is that user can select to display measures in the form of a graph or make the numbers appear in the form of a list

    Digital Scales

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am experiencing a bit of the same at my house. While my wife is trying to lose too she is not as dedicated as I at the moment and at times seems put off when I don't stary off diet when she does. Too bad is how I feel about that. We've talked about it, we know how each other feels and hopefully have agreed to not push the other in either direction too hard. Sounds a bit rigid or anticeptic perhaps, but you gotta talk and understand each other on topics of importance and your health is certainly such a topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  4. 文章是唯一不死的東西,時間飛逝,文字記述的心情就是一種傳承!............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am proud of you for not giving in and eating the chips. I know exactly how you feel. When my husband's snacking on something, it's so hard for me not to partake as well. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just checking in to see how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you okay? It has been 3 weeks since you posted...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!