Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing it down. Working it out.

Writing down my food is a hard thing to get back in the habit of doing. I'm being meticulous about it though. I know it's odd, but each time I make a mark on the paper, it becomes real. Somehow, I'm more accountable.

Yesterday I was tempted with a few extra starches. I wanted those extra melba snacks sooooo badly. They were talking with me, begging me to consume their salty goodness. I even reached for them. But out of the corner of my eye I saw my food journal and stopped myself. Did I REALLY want to write down that I'd had more melba snacks? Did I REALLY want to admit that I'd been over my calories for the day? Nope. I didn't.

It's easy to forget what we eat when we don't write it down. Out of sight out of mind is really true when it comes to food and consumption.

When I was most successful on plan, I wrote down every single thing that passed through my lips. I even wrote down the off plan foods when and if they crept into my life. Writing those down and identifying them helped me understand why I ate when and how I did. It actually kept me on plan more often than not. This time is no different and I'm back to making my food journal my best friend and daily companion.

I like what THW put on the front of their food journals about people being twice as likely to lose weight and keep it off when they write down their foods. I believe that because it worked for me. It's such a simple thing to do and yet it's also something pretty simple not to do. If it works though, and it's painless, why don't we all do it all the time?

Accountability. It's a powerful thing.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you won the netla battle with that melba toast. I too log my fod, and as you do, find great accoutability in doing so.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!