Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sodium. 'Nuff Said.

Ugh. Up a pound today. How, you might ask? I can only attribute it to the massive amounts of water I drank yesterday coupled with the massive amounts of sodium I consumed without knowing it.

Evidently, sodium runs rampant in most products I enjoy such as soy based proteins and deli meat.

According to the Mayo Clinic, a healthy adult should have no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Everyone else (including middle aged peeps and those of us dieting, meaning me) should consume less than 1,500 mg per day.

They also say:

The bottom line? Avoid products with more than 200 mg of sodium per serving. And check the Nutrition Facts label closely for the serving size — and consider how many servings you actually eat.

Hmmm... ok.

This little tidbit drove me to pull out the packaged deli meat I'd bought for lunches. 1520 mg in one serving! Holy snikees! That's my entire day's worth of sodium in one entree!

Bummer.

But at least it's an answer to the non-weight-loss question.

As much as I love salt (and sugar and carbs and ...) ... it's just not worth the extra poundage right now. So the deli meat is out of my lunch box and the cottage cheese is back in.

By Thursday the sodium will have left my body and I full expect a good drop in weight.

Despite the gain, I'm still focused and determined today. I feel strong and healthy again. I'm making wise food choices and that makes me feel powerful.

Thursday is going to be a gooooood day!

2 comments:

  1. I myself learned just recently that deli meat can be a bomb of a sodium assault on the body. I've never been to conscious of salt as I hardly ever add salt to food directly. but having read labels for the past 2 months wow--- those who make my food sure like to add allot of it for me. Sodium awareness, a good thing to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a warning. Cottage Cheese is usually really high in sodium too. Check your brand.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!