Monday, June 28, 2010

Post Surgery, Back At It

Wow. Surgery. Yeah. Um. Going into surgery, I was oblivious as to how my body would handle things and how much time I'd truly need to recoup. I thought I'd go under the knife, wake up, have a day or two of down time, and then be back in tip top shape. In fact, I was telling everyone that after a Friday surgery, I'd be back to work full time on Monday.

Not so much.

Last week I spent most of my time sleeping. I would do a bit of something and then need a nap. I couldn't even get myself off the couch without assistance for a couple days. My stomach muscles rebelled against the incisions and were not happy with me for slicing them open. They protested and whined ... a lot!

This week is better but I'm still taking it easy. I have four incisions and I'm supposed to be letting them thoroughly heal before attempting anything that will put over 15 pounds of pressure on those areas. I guess hernias are quite common for people that don't take it easy after this surgery. Since that sounds completely horrible to me, I'm listening to the doc even though it means I'm unable to ride my horses for another five weeks. Sniff, sniff.

I can start walking again this week though. My body won't make it the full four miles I was doing at lunch so instead, I'm gearing up for a couple miles at a brisk but manageable pace to get geared back up for the haul-butt wogging I was doing before the surgery.

I didn't do too badly on my eating. There was a night of pizza to test out the removed gallbladder functionality but other than that, I was pretty much on-plan.

My boyfriend did the cooking though so I'm sure there were extras (oil, butter, etc.) thrown in that I wasn't paying attention to. Frankly, I'm not worrying about it. It was nice to have someone take care of me and I couldn't have cared less what I was consuming in between my naps. I do remember quite a few salads .... but it's all a bit hazy on the particulars.

Anyway, tomorrow I weigh in and this week I'm getting meticulous about my diet yet again. I have a feeling the scale will be up as I'm still quite bloated and swollen from the surgery. That's temporary though so I'm prepping myself mentally to stay focused regardless of the numbers tomorrow.

All in all, I feel like good things are on the dieting horizon and I'm anxious to find out what they are!

2 comments:

  1. SOunds like the surgery went well, good to hear. Take it easy and avoid the hernia. I've had abdominal surgery and a hernia result that required another surgery to repair. No fun. So listen to the doc indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。......................................................................

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!