Friday, April 9, 2010

Coffee Obsession

I used to stop at Starbucks every morning. Routinely. Every day. I'd order a grande mocha and a pumpkin scone. When pumpkin spice lattes were in season, that was my drug of choice.

These days, Starbucks still has a hold on my heart not because I'm addicted to the fatty drinks and sugary treats, but because I'm generally in desperate need of my caffeine fix. I've given up so much for my diet and don't regret any of those changes ... but coffee is one thing I know I'll never be able to pass up. It's a necessity. I live in the Northwest, it's my form of Vitamin C. It's a staple.

Going to Starbucks has been an issue as of late though. Those tastey sugary treats beckon me from behind the counter and it's been hard for me to shut off their call. I've even given in a time or two and that just can't happen if I want to get this weight off.

There is only one type of coffee that I can make at home that even comes close to the awesomeness of a Starbucks. It's Moose Munch by Harry & David. It's got the right aroma and flavor to not only satisfy my coffee addiction but set my mind at ease thinking I've just "treated" myself. And what a nice treat ... no calories!

I hope to be able to venture back into Starbucks eventually. I like coffee shops. They feel comfortable to me and I want to be able to go there and stay true to myself. In the meantime though, I'm happy to have a substitute that meets my mental and physical needs. As my friend Darcy said, hooray for Harry & David Moose Munch!

Happy Friday everyone!

15 comments:

  1. I used to do mochas but now I do SF Vanilla Lattes. It took time to adjust but I do like them.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im like Katie and enjoy the skinny vanilla lattes as a treat now, I find they have enough sweetness so that I dont need a cake treat too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped going to Starbucks in September- when I found out my delicious frappacino packed over a 1000 calories and I couldn't NOT get one when I walked in the door. Oh, how I miss them- but it just isn't worth it. Thanks for the reminder! :) Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of coffee but the actual Moose Munch from Harry and David's is another story. That certainly doesn't have any calories however. ;-)

    Thanks to you I've decided to take part in the Team Challenge at The Healthy Weigh. I went to the informational meeting on Saturday and will go back tomorrow at noon. I've fallen off the wagon big time lately and this is just what I need as far as support and accountability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy,
    Just a quick post to say Hi and comment on an excellent blog and journey you have documented here. I am new to Blogger, but not new to trying to lose weight. I've been trying most of my adult life from my late 20's to now in my mid-40's. I am now starting yet another journey with my wife to do just that. Other than our making a commitment to each other that we gotta do it this time, we're a bit in information overload on the zillion's of how to's out there. Today I'm not as much looking for how to's as I am looking for others who have done so and succeeded regardless how they did it. In that search I have found your blog and have enjoyed what I have read so far. I went right to your first blog post to try and get a sense of your feelings, thoughts as you started as the first few steps in such a daunting journey are as critical as they are difficult. When I got to your first I was amazed to find that when you started this blog you had already shed 94 pounds. That was an even better find as it showed me someone who after a great degree of success was still so fired up in their success but not so wrapped up in it that they in anyway complacent about finishing their quest. It is that attitude I believe that has to be a key ingredient in completing such a journey. An ingredient I'm not certain I have in hand today. But we've made a commitment to do this, and as we go intend to attain that attitude as well. Looking forward to being able to succeed and post our many successes as you have clearly shown it can be done.

    Congrats on your success.

    -Patrick
    http://responsibility199.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy...I'm looking for new posts. Where are you? I hope you're doing well. Hang in there! You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! You are really making changes! Do you recognize your face in the mirror? Congrats on the changes you've made. Keep going, you're so very close, and this is where it gets SO SCARY and it's dedication, serious internal work that's going to get you to the finish line. At least, that is what this struggling ex-dieter believes.

    Check out my latest post HERE

    ReplyDelete
  8. 來問個安,誰不支持這個部落格,我咬他.........................

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!