Friday, March 26, 2010

Easy come, easy go .... easy come back on

Does anyone else get as annoyed as I do by the weight loss ads on TV, billboards, and the internet? They make weight loss appear so easy. Show a pic of a chubby gal in a bikini, she takes a pill, and suddenly she transforms (by magic of course) into a beautiful bikini model with abs of steel.

Yeah ... right.

If it were that easy to lose weight, everyone everywhere would be skinny with abs of steel. We would never ever have to worry about our weight again. Ever again. Skinny and happy for life! Yeah!

Newsflash, there is no easy way to lose weight and keep it off. Those of us (like all of us even the skinny minnies) that struggle with our weight will be fighting this fight the rest of our lives. Sure, it will get easier, but it will be a fight nonetheless. We will always need to watch our calories, maintain portion control, and ensure that we're making wise food choices.

That, my friends, is reality.

So why do so many buy into the falsity of the ads? In my opinion, they are looking for the easy and quick way out. After all, it was so easy to put the weight on in the first place. Surely it should be easy to take it off. Right? That seems only fair.

However, if it were easy to take off, would they learn their lesson about making wise choices to begin with? Easy come, easy go .... easy come back on.

I was emailing with a friend yesterday that's also struggling with her weight loss. She's put some weight back on and that's been as hard for her as it has been for me. In writing her back, I said the following:

The truth is, that had I not had this backslide, I never would have appreciated how far I'd already come and how far I still need to go. Instead of getting down on myself about it, I'm viewing this as a lesson I needed to learn. I needed to know how badly it felt to put on tight jeans again. How icky I felt when my shirts didn't look good on me anymore. How even just standing in my closet in the morning and trying to find something to wear can set me down the wrong path for the day. All of this helped me truly understand that nothing I eat can even come close to the long term feeling that I get from being healthy and making wise food choices.

I think that's true about losing weight as well. Through the struggle to lose, we find value in our results. Winning the battle - whether a small victory over a donut temptation or a large victory like hitting goal - gives us pride and a sense of accomplishment which we need in order to maintain our focus.

I'm happy to do this the "natural" way. I eat foods that I can pick up at any grocery store anytime, anywhere. I'm actually learning about nutrition and that will serve me for the rest of my life. I don't hide behind pre-packaged meals. I face the real world grocery stores and restaurants and still make wise choices.

I'm happy to say no to "magic" pills and instead put that money toward my rewards. Spending $50-$100/month on pills that don't offer me a long term solution pales in comparison to a scoring a cute (and much smaller sized) top that will showcase my progress.

Oddly, I can say I'm happy to struggle too because at the end of the day, when I've been successful and on plan, waged the war against all the temptation and come away a victor, I feel strong and empowered because I accomplished my daily goal while facing the world head-on.

That, to me, is priceless.

1 comment:

  1. "Show me a day without trials and I'll show you a day with no victories"

    Here's to living out our dreams! - Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!