Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Decision to Try

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
When I look at my weight loss goal, I get overwhelmed easily. 50 pounds is a lot to lose and it comes off so slowly.

I start to think about that goal and I lose patience. I start to think of how much I need to get through in order to reach that goal ... how many donuts and gummy worms I'll pass up .... how many glasses of wine I'll turn down .... how many nights I'll go to bed with a rumbly in my tumbly.

All of those negative thoughts flood through my head and the weight loss task seems daunting and insurmountable. Seeing it in that light, I sometimes don't even want to start the process and my thought for the day goes from "I can do this!" to "Shoot, this is too hard so I'll just tackle this whole weight loss thing tomorrow."

If I break the process down into a daily goal, it becomes much more manageable. I'll just start with the decision to try for today.

Today I am deciding to eat well. Just today. Just this moment. Right now. I will drive past the Starbucks without stopping. I will stick with my food plan today. I will jog at lunch. I will live this day as a dieter and count it successful when, at the end of the day, I've stayed true to my morning decision.

That's reasonable.

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try.

Each day I can recommit to this weight loss and see it through if I start out my day by making that decision and literally biting off a manageable chunk of my goal.

So this morning, the decision has been made. I'm not dwelling on the donuts and gummy worms or thinking through the weekend. I'm focused on today and staying on point and on plan.

That's doable.

2 comments:

  1. I don't get a chance to comment as much as I'd like to, but I follow your blog fairly regularly. Remember back on St. Patrick's Day?

    "...how cool it will be to again be able to slide [jeans] on without the sweating, cussing, and arguing. Those days are on the horizon."

    Sounds better than donuts and gummy worms. You sound pumped to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Splurgie! I appreciate the reminder and the fact that you follow the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!