Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Boy is in the HOUSE!

Living with someone sure does change the diet situation.


TS and I both want to lose weight and we've been working on it together off and on. The thing is, I've been using him as an excuse to eat badly. He eats pizza, I eat pizza. He eats ice cream, I eat ice cream. He eats a burger ... hmmm ... yeah, you get where this is going.


Now I'm not blaming him for my poor eating habits of late. I fully recognize that it's me that's making the choice to eat those things. He's not holding a gun to my head and even if he were, I'd still have a choice. It is however a pretty darn good excuse when I happen to be looking for one.


When I lived alone, I had no off-plan foods in my house. I didn't buy extra melba snacks, almonds, trail mix, bread, etc. My house was filled with only healthy things. That eliminated a lot of my snacking tendencies because there wasn't anything around to snack on. Now that I'm living with someone that does some of the grocery shopping, that's changed a little bit. He still buys healthy things, but he buys things that aren't on plan. Like trail mix. With M&Ms. And cashews. Trail mix. Yummmmmmmmy.


Whereas before the food called to me only when I was at the grocery store and on a mission (read that as easier to say no to), now it's calling to me while I'm sitting on the couch, alone, bored, watching tv, nothing else to do but get up and stuff my face.


TS is a snacker too, like me. So when he's home and tired, his first response is to get up and get a snack. He'll sit on the couch next to me and munch ... and, like a considerate boyfriend, he offers to share by sticking said yummy treats directly under my nose and close to my quivering lips.

Again though, I know I'm an adult and can resist the temptations. I know that, and yet, I don't.

I mean, I didn't.

I am now.

Right now I'm focused on breaking the routines. Instead of sitting on the couch and watching from the corner of my eye while he munches, I get up and do sit ups to resist the urge to snack. I down a bunch of water so that I can't fit one more thing inside. So far, it's working but I realize this is a battle I'll need to continue to fight as I reach my goal. He doesn't need to diet when I do. That's not fair to him and it's not in my backpack to force him to change.

I can, however, force myself to change and that's where my focus is these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping me a note!