Friday, December 18, 2009

The Gall of the Gallbladder

My silly gallbladder has decided to start acting up. What I didn't know about the gallbladder is that when people lose a large amount of weight over a quick period of time, they are more likely to develop gallstones which, if passed, can be extremely painful. Think of going through childbirth and having a few kidney stones at the same time ... or so I've been told.

What do I know for sure is that when I'm in the middle of a gallbladder attack, I'm in horrendous pain. I'm literally writhing around on the ground in tears. That's saying something because ... well .. I'm a cowgirl and cowgirls are generally tough! Not so much so when the gallbladder kicks into gear.

I've had a couple doctors appointments and hope to get to the bottom of this soon. Most likely a small surgery will be in my future. It's a very routine procedure now days so I'm not too worried about it.

The ironic part to me is that when I was eating badly, I didn't have gallbladder issues. In fact, my doctor told me that to avoid future attacks I should eat a lowfat diet immediately but ... um ... really .... yeah ... already doing that so that helpful little tidbit hasn't been so helpful.

Regardless, these are things I wish I would have known when I was on my way up to being heavy. I wonder if someone had told me all the health complications I was going to or could encounter because of my weight if I would have made better choices ages ago. Would I have changed my behavior had I known that I'd have gallbladder issues eventually? Or have stretchmarks that would never go away? Or how about if I knew I'd have flabby skin on my arms no matter how much I worked out?

Hmmm... who knows.

For now I'm not getting caught up in the negatives of these things and instead embracing them as reminders of how far I've come.

Yeah so my gallbladder isn't something I'm completely embracing yet (let's wait until the pain goes away) and the flabby arms thing is still under consideration as well.

But these are all gentle reminders that had I not made the life changes I did when I did ... well ... things would have been way worse than what they are now.

8 comments:

  1. You're right when you call the gall bladder removal a "procedure." It used to be a big surgery back in the day. I think it's still surgery but so common now and few complications.

    My sister had it done several years ago and remarked that she was sorry she waited so long to do it. She felt so much better from that day on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the health implications, but carried on ignoring the danger signs anyway.

    Hope you feel OK and don't get too much of a flare up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Guru, what entice you to post an article. This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had my gallbladder out 7 years ago...you will feel so much better! Thank you for your blog....I had done Healthy Weigh inn 2003 and lost 53 pds....have gained too much back but after reading your blog feel that I to can get back on the program now.....go Wendy go! You are an inspiration....thank you for putting yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry. My gallbladder problems started Dec 11th. We are going to have surgery done on the 7th this month.....It's a very painful feeling...we are going through the same thing. I eat healthier and now the problems start to appear. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter had her gallbladder removed... she said it was pretty painful.

    Can I just say how inspired I am by the amount of weight you have lost to date. Just awesome.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't stop posting such stories. I love to read stories like that. By the way add more pics :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!