Monday, October 5, 2009

The Thing Never to Say to the Trainer

I decided to torture myself with continuing the 1:1 training sessions with my Teeny Tiny Trainer, Madison.

She's great. She really is. I've been known to cuss her a little-tiny-smidgy-bit while in the gym as sweat pouring from every orifice of my body and I'm about ready to collapse, but give me 10 mins and some water and I'll tell you that she's awesome.

On Wednesday though, I think it would have taken more than 10 mins and some water for me to come back around to liking her.

She was having me practice back squats, box jumps, and rowing. Did I happen to mention that one of my least fav exercises is rowing? Ok, so truthfully, I'm not like a fan of any of the exercises .. but rowing is particularlly horrible. I know it's one of those exercises that does a lot of good for the body but man ... it's a killer! 500m x 3 coupled with the other exercises was about enough to put me into cardiac arrest. And of course, knowing this, Madison pushed me harder to get on it and get it over with.

In my last set of rowing, I was pooped. My body was saying "no" and my brain was caving into the resistance my body was publicizing.

Madison was pushing me to keep the pace up and finish strong. She was saying things like "you've got this, Wendy", "you can do this", "keep the pace below 2:00", etc.

Upon her last utterance, my brain let the following words escape from my mouth .. unfiltered ... "I can't."

The repercussions of this pronouncement were not to be known until after I had (and I must add successfully) pushed through my final set of rowing.

That's when Madison so nicely told me that for saying "I can't" aloud in a workout, I would need to do man-makers.

Now, as an aside, I want to know who in the world names these exercises. Man-makers? Burpees? Thursters? Really? I mean, come on.

Anyway, man-makers are an exercise that no women should want or need to do ... ever. They suck. They suck a lot.

The only thing I was thinking though as I was pouring sweat and shaking to complete the exercise was, I will never say I can't again.

Lesson learned.

It's a good lesson to apply to all parts of my weight loss life though. As I've said before, it's a mental game and when the brain starts to push forward the "I can't", that's what becomes reality. By instead thinking "I will" I can turn that around. It's how I got through my final set of rowing. I was bombarded with the "I can't's" and at one point decided that turn that around to the ".... but I will's".

That's the key. I will.

I will do this.
I will succeed.
I will conquer.
I will, without a shadow of a doubt, work my butt off in the gym and stick with my diet plan.

I will accomplish this goal.

2 comments:

  1. You REALLY need to tell us what Man-Makers are now. Please describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sorry about that! Here's a description from a discussion board that details the torture. :)

    Grab two dumbells of manageable size for rows/dumbell squats...

    the man-maker is a jump-squat-thrust/body-builderesque based exercise so most positions resemble those...

    1) start in the push-up position with hands on db's, complete a push up.

    2) row one of the db's after you're in the up position of the push-up, then place db back on the ground and do another push-up.

    3) repeat 2) but with your other arm performing the row at up portion of push-up

    4) jump your feet near your hands (just like a squat thrust).

    5) clean and press the db's

    6) after the press bring db's to waist height and squat down until you can rest db's on deck slightly in front of your body.

    7) jump back into push up position and repeat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!