Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Melba Moments

Hi, my name is Wendy and I'm a starch-aholic.

I freely admit that if it's made of flour, wheat, dough, or some other such thing I'll most likely love it. Cover it in cheese and I'll probably battle you for it.

Before I started this diet, every meal consisted of large amounts of starch. Starch, and cheese, were my staples. I'd have cereal and toast for breakfast followed by spaghetti or mac & cheese for lunch. Dinner was pizza. That was the routine.

I think that was largely due to the fact that I grew up a vegetarian and therefore didn't truly learn to consume proper amounts of protein. In our house, we substituted the starch for the protein.

But that's all in the past. I now limit my starch intake to two servings per day while increasing the protein that my body craves.

The problem is, my mind still craves the starch!

My issue of late has been with melba snacks. I know. I know. Sad really. It's a sign of a true dieter when someone says they're craving melba snacks.

Regardless, that's been my issue. 7 crackers are a serving. 7 ... teeny ... tiny ... crackers. 1 serving.

Torture.

I think melba snacks should come with a label: "Dieters BEWARE! No one can eat just one."
As a starch lover and dieter, there is something so divine about a crispy cracker. I eat them and I tend to forget how many I've already had. So, naturally, I just keep eating them!
Since I'm really trying to battle off my last 30 pounds, I can not continue to let starch derail my progress.
So, my solution is to practice self control. I'm still buying the melba snacks but as soon as I get them home, I'm dividing them into baggies each with one serving. I'm putting into practice my own form of portion control.
And it's working.
I'm happy to report that this week I'm keeping my starch intake directly at 2 servings per day. Granted, it's only Tuesday, but hey, for a reformed starch-aholic, this is progress and therefore is cause for celebration!

5 comments:

  1. I'm a total carbaholic as well! I am learning to add more protein to my meals, but it's hard to do after years of carb loading, lol.
    You may want to not buy the melba toast for a while - maybe having them around is just too much temptation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a total carbaholic as well! I am learning to add more protein to my meals, but it's hard to do after years of carb loading, lol.
    You may want to not buy the melba toast for a while - maybe having them around is just too much temptation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, starch and cheese were my staple foods pre-diet too. Ahhh, fond, fond memories, lol.

    I think dividing them up into portion sizes is a great idea - I do that with tempting treats and it does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I have been forcing down nasty whole wheat tortillas for wraps instead of my delicious, pure white flour gordita (gordo)shells, and after your post...I was reminded how much better off I am! It IS worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by to check in and make sure you are OK - I kind of know you are, but I worry, you know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!