Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eating Out ~ The Food You Need is In the Kitchen

I really liked last night's episode of the Biggest Loser. Did everyone catch it?

The teams had to order all their food for the week from restaurants. Boy oh boy! That's tough! The good news, almost all the teams still lost weight.

I thought it was pretty cool when Jillian and Bob took the team out to Mexican food and then talked with them about how to place an order, what to look for, and how to send food back when/if it isn't correct.

Isn't it funny though that we're afraid to do those kinds of things? Order off menu? Really? We can do that? Send food back? Uh-oh. What if the cook gets offended? I just couldn't ...

It's so funny though. We're buying the food. We're shelling out money for it and therefore we should be getting what we want. So send it back! Butter added to your broccoli? Send it back! Salad dressing not on the side? Send it back!

Ages ago, Letha said to me "the food you need is in the kitchen" and that's stuck with me each time I go out to eat. Almost every restaurant has grilled chicken and lettuce. Worst case scenario, I get a grilled chicken salad. If it's not on the menu, ask for it! Chances are they'll whip it up for you because ultimately they want you to enjoy your meal. They want a tip or a return customer and generally will do what it takes to make that happen.

Although I do try to steer clear of restaurants for the most part (added salt and temptation), I have been known to go occasionally with friends. I used to have a hard time ordering off menu, making changes to the food choices, and/or sending stuff back. But I've realized that I can no longer worry if I'm offending the staff at a restaurant and must make myself a priority and to do that, I need to order healthy, good meals.


1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for a Beautiful Blog Award over at my blog! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!