Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sitting Dog. Jogging Wendy.

Noodle is the most energetic dog I've ever met. She can jump from all fours straight into the air and go up above my 5'4 head without any issues. She does this repeatedly with her tongue hanging out sideways, a doofy smile on her face, and her ears flopping in the breeze. It's her favorite activity and she performs it on a routine basis. It's her way of working off her own energy. The pic on the left is of her this winter jumping up and down in the barn aisle.

This would be ok, except that she doesn't exactly always look at what might be under foot or over head or next to her when she performs this sort of activity and therefore ends up running into, breaking, stepping on, or otherwise destroying something upon each spastic jump. She is very much unaware of her 120 pounds and is always surprised when the jumping causes some kind of proximity drama.

Since I've owned Noodle (2 years), I've been searching for some sort of activity that she could do with me that, at the end of it, would tire her out. A tired Noodle = a good Noodle. But I've yet to find the one thing that will knock her on her butt.

When we walk, she's still going strong at the end of 12 miles while I am more than ready to turn for home. We picked up mountain biking and she's adapted but she's not the biggest fan of the bike and it can be a dangerous ride.

As I'm on the jogging thing right now, I've started taking her along with me and it seems to be her thing. She trots along next to me at a pretty good pace and seems to be mildly less energetic at the end of the run so I consider that a success. I do find it a bit ironic that I would end up with a dog that likes jogging ... but ... well ... perhaps that the motivation that I need to keep moving forward with the whole thing.

I took her out this weekend and actually succeeded knocking her on her butt ... quite literally!

We were jogging around Battle Ground Lake which is about a 3 or 4 mile trail. As we were heading for home (about a quarter mile left), I decided to kick it into high speed. My legs were numb at this point so I might as well make the most of it and get my heart rate up as much as it could possibly go.

Noodle did great keeping up for the first part of the sprint. She led the way in her typical "Noodle trot jog". As we were about half through the sprint, she dropped behind me and I heard her panting increase. I kept charging ahead.

Pretty soon I felt a tug on the leash and turned around to check on her. She was literally sitting down in the middle of the trail and I was dragging her on her butt as I pushed forward to complete the sprint! Poor Noodle. She looked pooped and miserable. I dropped the leash and kept pushing forward. I was almost done and didn't want to stop when the end was within my grasp. I figured she'd meander her way back to the truck eventually.

I rounded the next corner, pushed hard to complete the sprint, thought I was going to die from lack of oxygen, and finally collapsed in a sticky, sweaty, achy, breathless mess in front of my truck.

A few minutes later, a very tired and droopy Noodle slowly panted her way around the corner and up to the truck where she immediately sat down next to me and put her head on her paws as if to say "Phew! I can't even hold up my head after that one, mom".

She was a good Noodle the rest of the day. She and I both napped and enjoyed a lazy day at home.

For the first time since I've owned her, she had run out of energy. Aw, what a good day! I'm looking forward to having many more of those as we charge forward in our fitness goals. Her fitness will increase as will mine so pretty soon she'll be pulling me in a sprint down the last 1/4 mile of trail! In the meantime, I'm going to relish the fact that this little bit tires her out more than me. Wuhoo!

4 comments:

  1. I love her and think she did very well indeed! Oh, so did you, by the way, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW....a 12 mile walk won't do that dog in. I am tired just hearing about it. What do feed that pup?!

    Read your post about your arms. Laughed, it was so ture. I bet you were rocking that sleevless outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You outlasted your dog. That is an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your improved fitness is benefiting more than just yourself. Great story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!