Thursday, August 6, 2009

Saying "No"

I don't know what it is about saying no that makes me want something even more. This is true even when I'm the one saying no to myself. I think that makes it worse actually because I know all my own flaws and can generally turn my no into a yes by pushing my own buttons. Lately, there's been a lot of button pushing going on and I've had the hardest time agreeing with myself on the whole no thing.

In fact, instead of no being a definitive decision, it has turned into a lengthy conversation that generally involves some "why can't I have it" and "that's not fair" and "just a little won't hurt" kind of statements. Bombarded with such great arguments (yeah, not so much), I generally give into the temptation.

The most recent temptations being food related, of course.

Silly, right?

I'm sure there's some psychological reason. It probably goes back to the days of my childhood, being told no as a kid, not feeling deserving, blah blah blah.

The thing is that right now I need to be focused on the no. It needs to be my life. I need to hear that word as a decision (cutting me off from any other possibilities) and not a discussion topic. I need to let it resonate in my head as a positive and not a negative or deprivation.

By saying no to foods that I shouldn't have, I'm saying yes to my health, happiness, and self. I'm letting good things in. I'm allowing myself to complete this weight loss and I'm saying that I'm worthy of the good things that will come to me by not consuming bad-for-me-foods.

This is truly a case of changing my thinking. My rumbling tummy is not being honest with me but my new training and thought process can be if I let them lead the way.

It's time to step out of my own way and commit to the power of my no.

No is not a four letter word. It's life changing and I'm putting stock in that today.

Let's make NO the new YES!

4 comments:

  1. You get way more benefit from the word NO than the word Yes. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gem of a post! No is the new black!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how much power is in that word, isn't it?
    When I want my kids to try a new food, you know what I do? I put it on my plate, and when they ask me to try it, I say no! They get so worked up, when I finally give it to them, they devour it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find something very empowering about saying "no," though I've tried not to be so crazy about it of late. My wife described my lifestyle as "monk-like" the other day (and I don't think she meant it in a fun-loving monkey-like way). So I'm trying to say "No" where I can, say "yes" from time to time and have a little fun along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!