Friday, August 7, 2009

How to be a "Fairly" Good Dieter

Over the next 10 days I'll be living at the local fairgrounds.

Yep, it's fair time. I have a horse at the fair this year which means I'll be at the fairgrounds every day and every night.

Yep, every day and every night. At the fair. With fair food. And camping with non-dieters that like food and beer and really really like to share. And did I happen to mention the fair food?

I mean, there are food temptations around every corner. Literally. One minute I'm strolling past the elephant ear booth being bombarded with sweet cinnamon and fried dough smells and the next I'm assaulted with the sight of a big fat juicy burger and crispy fried onion rings. After that, I stumble upon the dairy princess milkshake booth. Oh my gosh. How do I start to describe the goodness that comes from that booth. I don't even think I can put it into words frankly. The sweet, creamy goodness of a freshly churned milkshake with fresh fruit (hey, could I count it as a daily fruit and a dairy? Please? With sugar on top??????) is just about as close as I used to get to heaven on earth. The dairy princesses are even nice enough to stay open late so that the horse mounted patrol (of which I'm a member) can get milkshakes after the evening parking lot patrol. Yeah, ummmmm.... milkshakes at 10:00 pm. Good (fattening) times. Good (fattening) times.

Of course, I haven't even started in on the bags of potato chips, beers, sodas, and other goodies that the campers bring to the evening potlucks and so kindly leave on the tables for other campers to enjoy. Now isn't that just so nice of them?

Needless to say, while at the fair, my "foodar" goes on high alert but I'm doing all I can to prevent any diet disasters. Luckily my friend has a travel trailer and it comes equipped with a fridge and freezer. I've taken full advantage of that and stocked up with yogurts, fresh fruit, veggies, and protein.

By planning ahead, I'll have no excuse to make bad decisions.

I've also told my good friends to keep an eye on me and offer gentle reminders if I happen to stray from my diet. I doubt they'll need to say anything but sometimes me just knowing someone is "watching" will keep me on plan!

I'm really looking forward to spending some quality time with my horse and my horsey friends. It's going to be a great 10 days and I don't want to come out of it with any "if onlys" about food. Guilt is the quickest way to ruin a good time, right? This year, instead of the fair being about food, I'd like to make it about good friends and time with my horse. That sounds like such a nicer and longer lasting memory!

Anyway, being at the fair will mean I'll be a sporadic blog poster. By the end of fair I'll have lots of good stories and I look forward to sharing them with you. In the meantime, I'll pop in when I can and will write a note or two to update you all on my successes ... cause I quite literally am planning to knock this diet thing outta the park even in this difficult diet situation!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, fair time! That takes me back to my childhood 4H years with my own horse (back then). What a fun time. Great wishes for staying on plan. You can do it and come away with the best fair memories ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog today! I was just thinking about it this afternoon as I contemplated going to the fair tonight and then remembered I only go for the waffle cones or Princess Dairy milkshakes (which ever line is shorter!) and decided not to go to keep from temptation but maybe I should still go and be focused like you :) You and Buttons have a fun time! Can't wait for the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, if you come to the fair you'll have to let me know so that Buttons and I can say "hi"!

    Oct, thanks! 4H ... I'm sure you have a few stories of your own!

    ~wj

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great plan! You WILL be successful! I think it's great that you have a friend that can hold you accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having just come from our state fair, I can complete understand where you're coming from! I couldn't imagine being there every day!
    Good for you for bringing healthy options. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!