Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why Weight Loss is Like Jogging

Ok, as mentioned before, I am sooooo not a jogger. I could list off a million reasons as to why I'm not a jogger, but that's not the point of this post so I'll only say that my short, squaty body was made for speed not distance.

And I'm ok with that little fact. It doesn't mean though that I've given up pushing myself further, harder, faster, and longer during my workouts.

The other day, for a few miles anyway, I turned into a jogger. I actually jogged quite a distance without stopping, dying, collapsing, overheating, having a heart attack, or otherwise suffering bodily harm. I was and am so proud of that tidbit. It was only a couple miles but for me, that was HUGE!

Jogging is liberating. While I'm doing it, I hate it. I'm literally forcing myself to put one foot in front of the other. It's not just a physical game though. I have to push negative thoughts out of my head too.

It's funny but if, as I'm jogging, I start to think about how far I have yet to go before I can stop, how tired my legs already are, how sore my shins might be, how hard it is to breathe in air, how hot I am, how sweaty I already am, etc., etc., then I am so much more likely to throw in the towel and stop before I reach the end. Those negative thoughts take over my feet and slow them to a walk far before I reach my goal which then reiterates all those negative thoughts and gets me going down a vicious cycle.

On the other hand, if I focus on how far I've already gone, repeat over and over the benefits of the exercise to myself, concentrate on the moment and not the end, and sometimes even congratulate myself on each tiny jogged step, then I can complete the task with success.

Completing the jog is a wonderful feeling. I set little goals for myself while I'm jogging like I'll jog to the next corner ... then I get to the corner and say COOL! now I'll jog to the next two corners ... etc. Every time I set a goal and complete it, I feel free and liberated. It's a feeling I take with me for the rest of the day and it carries through to other parts of my life too.

Now to my point.

Weight loss is a lot like the jogging scenario. I'm a firm believer in what The Healthy Weigh stresses which is that if we change our thinking, we can change our life. We think our own reality.

Since that's the truth, I know that each time I'm struggling and I let that negative talk enter my brain, I'm setting myself up for failure.

Each time I'm faced with my own stinkin' thinkin', I try to remember that I have the power to change my own thoughts and in so doing can get myself back on track. That's not to say that I don't rely on others for support and encouragement but ultimately, it's me that has to lose this weight, make up my own mind to be successful, and then make it happen.

So last week when I was focused on the hard things about losing this weight, thinking about the uphill battle I had left and stumbling over my own thoughts, I knew I had to reach down deep and pull myself up by the bootstraps.

This week I'm much more focused and feeling that no matter what I face, I'll be able to see this through to the end.

I could not have lost this weight had I not changed my thinking. There were and are soooo many times where self-sabotage rares it's ugly head. But by identifying those things early and not allowing it to derail me, I've been successful ... and I continue to be successful as I reach the end which is only 30-some-odd pounds away.

I mean, come on! 30-some-odd pounds? That's so doable! I'll have that off in no time and then it's onto the rest of my life.

And that's pretty darn liberating too!

2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing running...the next block, to that car etc. Its way more of a mental thing for me than the pain of running. The last 30lbs is going to take some hard work, but you will do it in no time with the attitude you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit that nail right on the head with another excellent post!

    Yep you can get through those 30lbs one step at a time and we will be cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!