Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Teeny Tiny Step & Sore Muscles

Ok, so after my little breakdown, I've taken a step on the path to the right which is a good thing.

It was a darn painful step because it came at the urging of an insistent trainer who was asking me to do more lunges than any one person should ever be required to do at one time ever no matter how in shape they might be or want to be ... phew!

But it's a step nonetheless and it's in the right direction so I'm taking it.

This week Holly and I were silly enough to agree to workout with Madison (the trainer) twice. She then decided to kill us with lunges. Seriously. Lunges, sit-ups, and push-ups. Holly and I were a sweaty disaster at the end of Tuesdays workout.

Then, because we hadn't endured enough torture, yesterday Holly and I decided to go on a quick six mile bike ride at lunch. Oh my thighs! They were on fire through most of the ride. Six miles hadn't been impacting me too much but yesterday I felt every single turn of the pedal.

Today will include another butt-kicking workout and I'm downing advil like it's going out of style. I want to be able to make it through the evenings adventure ... and it would be nice to get up from my chair without creaking, groaning, and wobbling for a few steps.

I see good things coming from all this movement (I think ...) so I'm committed to continuing down the path. Some days are just harder than others.

I've found though that I'm somewhat addicted to the pain. Silly, right? And perhaps addicted is a bit harsh. It's more that I look forward to the pain because it's my way of knowing my body is changing. It's a reminder that I did good on my previous workout. It's like a painful pat on the back. A very painful pat.

I know. It's strange. At this point though, I'm going with it because it's helping me stay focused, tuned in, and on target.

So bring on the pain! I'm hunched over and creaking, but I'm slowly taking steps on the uphill path to my future self.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just glad I love ending workouts more than I hate beginning them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you decided to hobble down the right path (I knew you would).

    Keep up the painful work - you are in for some amazing results next weigh-in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean...it just feels good to be sore in the morning! :) If I don't have a little bit of pain the next morning I just don't feel as accomplished!! And Jillian from The Biggest Loser says when you're uncomfortable...that's when you're body is making the most changes!! Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very hard to reenergize!I have just returned from a "change your attitude" sweaty walk with my dog and it seems to be working! At this mornings weigh in I was ready to open a vein in order to make my 2 LB loss this week. How much blood would I have to lose to have the scale drop 1/2 a pound?????? I feel better now yes I was down,just not enough! Better stop typing before I find myself out there walking again!!!
    Keep a good thought anf have one for me too!
    Marni

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!