Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Grocery Shopping

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but I find it completely ironic that fatty, processed foods cost more than my healthy, whole foods at the grocery store.

I was at Safeway last night, loading up on my healthy staples. I get to the check out line with 1/2 a cart full of veggies, fruits, meats, etc. Good stuff. The lady in front of me has a full cart (over-flowing in fact) of chips, beers, sodas, breads, bakery stuffs, etc. The "other" kinda good stuff.

Frankly, I was somewhat drooling while standing behind her in line even though, after my weekend "on the wagon", I knew those foods were no good.

Anyway, she gets through the checkout having spent about $100. I am up next. The cashier types in all the codes for my produce, wraps my chicken in extra bags, and then gives me my total. $125.

Really? For 1/2 cart of groceries? Ugh. Man, it's spendy to be healthy!

The weird thing is that even though my grocery bill has sky rocketed since eating healthier, my overall food budget has gone down. I used to eat out one to two meals a day. No more! I'm living on the edge if I eat out once every other week.
It all works out in the end. If that lady is anything like I used to be, then she probably went home, consumed that food and ended up feeling sluggish, unhealthy, and fat. In the meantime, I went home excited about the fresh foods I'd purchased, dreamed up some new recipe ideas, and knew they would fill, fortify, and energize my body.

3 comments:

  1. You're looking at it exactly the right way, factoring in "going out to eat" costs. My grocery bill is a fortune, but I look at it as an investment in my overall health. Money well spent, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is frustrating, isn't it? I don't understand it either, but hey - it is money well spent! I just think of it as saving on any future doctor bills, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! So annoying...I try and only shop the outer isles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!