Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Self Motivation

This week my weight loss and challenge partner, Holly, is getting married. It's awesome and I'm so excited for her because she's found a great man and I think they're going to be super happy together.

Selfishly speaking though, it puts me in a workout quandary. Holly and I generally workout together at the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. In addition, we sometimes schedule in a hike on the weekends.

But this week that isn't possible. Holly is in the midst of a wedding whirlwind and that means she's not able to join me at the gym this week and I'll need to schedule in my own gym time ... alone ... just me ... with some headphones ... by myself.

Uh-oh.

Walking is a bit different story. I love Carrie's company during the week on our walks and I really look forward to our chats (sure makes the walks go by sooo much faster!), but if for some reason she can't make it, I somehow (just barely) manage to get my butt out and about. Perhaps being in the outdoors makes a difference.

Going to the gym alone though somehow seems unbareable and thus the prefect reason not to go.

I think it's because I don't feel as comfortable in a gym. I mean, someone there might actually see me exercise and sweat or something. Eeek! Scary!

I'm gonna do it though. I'm sticking to my regular schedule and gonna drag my butt down there three times this week. I'll miss Holly a lot cause we generally giggle and talk about as much as we workout. That makes the workout go by so much faster too!

So, I'm taking my own advice and downloading some new music to get me motivated. Perhaps with some new beats I'll be more enthused about the workout. Maybe. Hopefully.

Regardless, I'm going to work hard and get 'er done!

I'll miss you though, Holly!

3 comments:

  1. I hate going to the gym alone. It sucks. Good for you for doing it anyway. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New music will help a lot... and afterwards you'll feel great! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go to the gym on my own - it doesn't bother me even when I was at my heaviest.

    I sweat, trip over, swear, struggle with the equipment and generally make a fool of myself, but I DON'T CARE!

    Seriously, most other people are there on their own and are too busy getting through their own workout to be looking at anyone else.

    Go for it - it is liberating!

    (PS: wish I lived nearer, I would love a hiking buddy!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!