Monday, June 22, 2009

Party Food and the Dieter

I am officially a committed dieter. I'm hardcore. I'm so committed to this thing it's not even funny.

My friend's aunt was having a baby shower for her. I RSVP'd, called my friend to find out what foods were going to be on the menu, and then asked if she thought her aunt would mind if I brought my own foods so that I could stay on plan and yet still enjoy the party. Did I mention that her aunt is a gourmet cook and has several published cookbooks? Yeah, tough situation and hard to resist her amazing cooking!

Nonetheless, I showed up with my veggies, on-plan starch (garlic melba snacks!!), and protein. I added in the fresh fruit being served and sat down to enjoy the meal with everyone else.

It was great. I had no guilt when I left that party. No one even looked twice at me as I nibbled and stuffed my face along with the rest of them.

I never would have even thought to bring my own food back in the day. I would have worried that would insult the hostess and that's not something I would ever want to do. However, the thing I've noticed is that very few people actually know or care what I'm putting into my mouth. Instead they only seem to care that my plate is full. So filling it with veggies and fruits and my own foods is (in most scenarios) perfectly acceptable.

Letha is the one that really changed my thinking on this topic. She said in one of her workshops that dieting is like food allergies. If we were allergic to peanuts and were invited to someone's house for dinner, most likely we'd know in advance if we could eat what was being served as it would be a life and death thing to know the menu.

Why is it any different for a food addict? This is a life and death thing too. The death just happens to be a bit slower in our case but the reality is that it's still plausible. So why don't we take steps to avoid it and be healthy?

It was hard and strange to pull out my foods at first, but when no one noticed or seemed to care, it sure became a lot easier.

I'm so proud of myself for making healthy choices when at first it wasn't the easiest thing to do. If I can pass up cake and gourmet cooking, I think I might just might be able to make it to the end of this thing!

3 comments:

  1. Parties are tough for the food addicts in the crowd. Congrats on taking the reins and controlling your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea and great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!