Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jogging?

I'm short. I'm still on my weight loss journey. And I hate jogging.

But, jogging is one of those things that I've always wanted to do and could never quite muster up the energy to do well.

In high school my dad and I used to run around the lake in Longview. Well, he'd jog, I'd straggle along behind him. He'd encourage me ("Only a few more steps! You can do it!") and his encouragement only served to annoy me at the time. I remember getting soooo mad at him because he was making me jog.

Of course, he wasn't making me do anything. I chose to go with him on these ventures and when he suggested a jog I chose to put my feet in motion. But at the end of the jogging spurt, when his encouragement became the loudest to push me to the end, I couldn't see past my sweat filled brow, burning legs, and stinging lungs. I only saw red and generally a few expletives escaped from my lips as I finally caught up with him at the end of the jaunt.

For some reason, I had forgotten those jogs and the pure rage I felt at having to work so hard at something that I saw no benefit to. I'm sure it's a case of repressed memories ....

Anyway, as I started losing weight, I started throwing in a little (teensy tiny weensy) bit of jogging to my daily routine. When I say little, I mean that I jogged a block then used the next five or six blocks to recover my breath and brain. The more I've done it though, the easier it's gotten and now I'm jogging two blocks, walking a block, jogging two, walking one, etc.

I was pretty darn proud of my progress ... until I downloaded a little application called C25K for my iPhone. This app is supposed to take me from a couch potato to a 5k runner in 9 weeks.

Yeah, right!

I did the first day (only the first day!) and just about died. I have no idea how in the world I'm going to keep up with this app for the next 9 weeks.

I do want to keep trucking along though. As much as I hate the pain as I'm going through it, there is something so absolutely liberating about knowing that I did it and CAN do it! It's just one more thing that I've always wanted to do that now I will do.

Granted, I don't think I'll be entering any marathons, but it would be nice to know I could jog without dying and wanting to hurt someone at the end of it.

So, that's my new workout mission over the next couple weeks.

I hope ....

9 comments:

  1. As crazy as it sounds, running can get addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gets easier quite quickly - although I have repeated weeks 1 and 2 and am struggling with 3, I am delighted to be able to run for what I consider to be long stretches (although a real runner would fall about laughing at that!). I love the liberated feeling I get when I run and want to be able to do it on a regular basis around my home instead of forking out for the gym (and the lengthy drive).

    Stick with it and see how you get on - you never know, it might just click. Oh, and if you can get hold of the book, Running for Women, I recommend it, it is most interesting and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I jogged (for a few weeks) in college then gave it up in favor of sleeping in. I've often wanted to try again. Best of luck! Maybe your success will motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! :) I want to be a runner sooo bad...but I'm sooo not good at it! Way to go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with the C25K! There are lots of bloggers around here doing the same program!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting that this topic came up this week! Tuesday my workout conflicts with the challenge meeting but I had intended to weigh and take off to the workout. Well got all dressed in my workout duds and alas....no shoes to be had. So I trundled into HW in my workout cloths and heeled sandals...quite stylish don't ya think. So after the meeting I went home and ate my dinner, put on my long lost shoes and out the door for a walk. I have been "jogging" just a bit here and there. I call it my Tim Conway jog cause most people would breeze by me walking while I'm jogging. But still it gets my heartrate up there. Well I went futher than I have in many years and made it half way up the killer hill on 54th street before I had to walk. Walked a ways further then jogged home. It felt like such a huge victory!! As my legs were screaming at me to stop I kept reciting in my head....you can do this thing if you can make it through the squat and lunge workouts! Rocky theme song begins here......
    This is a long way of saying keep on going!! Who knows what victory lurks ahead. Celebrate every small victory because they all add up to success.
    I so love reading your comments to assure myself we are all in this together and I'm not nearly as unique as I once thought. : - }
    Keep on trucking!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather (Smallest Winners)June 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM

    Wendy honey....this pain and agony will soon be a far distant memory.

    You've got it in you, I know you do! You are a great speed walker so it will come quicker than you realize!

    You just wait until you see what I've been up to...creating a summer activity schedule to invite people to. I fully expect that by September, you will full-on be ecstatic to take part in what I've got on the calendar for September 2 .... just in time for a "last chance workout" prior to the final weigh in for the Summer Sensational crowd.

    You've got a fire inside you; all of us see it....you just wait until YOU see it. You are unstoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm hoping to stay positive about this whole running thing but it's HARD! In the meantime, it is quite addictive though. Knowing I can go further and further is really cool and makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something really good.

    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My advice is keep it slow and really concentrate on your breathing and feeling the rhythm of your breath and movement. Most of all stay positive! You can do it and if you don't finish the program, you'll have given it a good try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!