Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Goal

It's offical. I'm setting a final number in stone. And a date. And a final size.

After talking with Letha, here's my completion goal.

Weight: 157 pounds
Size: 8
Date: Nov. 6th.
Total Lost: 150 pounds

After reflecting on this, I think that sounds manageable.

At first though, when we were talking about the total amount I still needed to lose (eek! 50 more pounds!) and the date (eek! not until nov 6th?) I was kinda freakin' a bit.

After losing over 100 pounds, 50 more seemed daunting. It seemed like I'd never ever be finished with this little (or not so little) project. Having to continue on with my diet plan until Nov. 6th seemed horrendous. I wanted to eat more starch darn it! I didn't want to be on a diet that long! I didn't wanna be dieting for the rest of my life and Nov. 6th seemed like it was going to take the rest of my life to get too! Seriously? Did I have to do this? How come I couldn't just lose it faster? Huh? Huh? Yes, I think I even stamped my foot for emphasis.

I have a flair for the dramatic.

But let's stop and think about this rationally for a second.

The truth is that when I complete this total goal and weigh 157 pounds by Nov. 6th, I will have lost all of my weight (150 pounds total) in a year and two weeks. Originally I was going to only lose 100 pounds in a year so adding on another 50 is a bonus. I will still be finished in a year (give or take a week or two). That's more than reasonable.

This time will go by whether or not I'm working on my weight loss goal so the question I asked myself is this:

Do I want to have Friday, Nov. 6th roll around and be upset because I didn't hit my weight loss goal? How would that feel? I know I'd be depressed, upset, angry, miserable, and most likely reaching for something yummy to take those feelings away.

Or, do I want to reach Friday, Nov. 6th and have a big celebration on that day because I'm offically at my goal weight? How would that feel? I'd be elated, empowered, strong, accomplished, exhuberant, and happy.

That could be an awesome Friday for me mentally. I could be making a huge transition from a dieter to a stablizer. Heehee! That makes me downright giddy!

Ok, so this is doable. I just need to keep ticking off the pounds one at a time. Ounce by ounce, pound by pound. As long as I'm going down, I'm in the right direction.

It's time to buckle down, imagine the size 8 me, and keep my eyes peeled for Nov. 6th.

It's gonna be here before I know it!

8 comments:

  1. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspiring. 150 pounds total weight loss is great. Keep up the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice after pursuing the "Goal Weight" at the Healthy Weigh, on and off for probably 10 years, is Go for it and Get there while you have momentum! A break easily turns into Dead in the water! My only real concern for your success is a selfish one. You must keep writing this Blog! It starts my day and inspires me to continue the journey! You will make your goal and that accomplishment will be life changing!(for all of us)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harpsnw, Thank you for the advice! As much as I love to inspire you, I've gotta say, I don't think I want to be on this journey any longer than I have too! Stop this train! I wanna get off at some point! :) But in the meantime, thanks for coming by and offering your thoughts.

    You're doing great too, by the way, I've seen you dropping those pounds in the challenge! It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have accomplished a lot. You keep that up and it is inspiring to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, the answer is of course you can, YES YOU WILL, and I want to be at the clinic on Nov 6th for your weigh in with balloons and flares and noise makers! You can and will do it. I want to sign up as your official cheerleader.

    If you want my humble opinion, just do the work and get it down, learn the lessons now and leave the past in the past....don't prolong it longer than you have to.

    You want to know some humbling info? I started my journey to lose 100lbs 3 years ago!! I haven't always been the tenacious, get-out-of-my-way success story. I lived the "in between" just as you described - arriving at my goal date, far shy of having met the goal, and reverted back to comforting with food. I can speak from experience that THAT road isn't worth it AT ALL! Take the road less traveled and MAKE HISTORY BABY!!!

    I am reaching down deep into myself like something fierce to make my 100lb mark by weigh in next week. I am leaving blood sweat & tears down on the streets and gym floors of Clark County to claim that victory myself....and then quickly work my way towards the last 20lbs I want to shed. How about you be my cheerleader this week to hit my 100 ....and I will MORE than back you up as a cheerleader for your 150!! Deal? Awesome! Let's DO THIS THANG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like some great goals - well done on that 100 and good luck with the next 50 - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a 150 in little over a year would be amazing! If you already did 100, you can easily do another 50!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!