Sunday, May 24, 2009

Water Bottle Boggles

I've been on a water bottle journey and as a result, I've learned that water bottles are very personal.

Take a peek on Amazon. There are about a zillion options for water bottles! Ok really there are 10,000 give or take a couple thousand.

When I set out to find a new water bottle, I was a bit boggled. How in the world would I ever narrow down my options? Did I need BPA free? What in the world was that even? And metal vs plastic? White vs blue? Sport cap vs hook cap? Huh?
After a bit of pondering (and trying out cheapy water bottles I found at various local stores), I found the following criteria very helpful. Hopefully you will too.

1) Shape ~ The bottom needs to fit in my truck cup holders. The middle needs to fit my small (albeit chubby) fingers.

2) Capacity ~ This is tricky. Ideally we should all drink 1/2 our body weight in oz each day ... or so I've been told. So for me, that's just plain a lot of water. At work during the day I don't like to keep getting up to refill a bottle so I needed something that holds quite a bit. However, at home, I like something that's portable and can easily go with me. It also needs to fit in my mountain bike water holder. So, understanding this, I decide two different water bottles are in order.

3) Drink top ~ Phewie! Lots of options here. Straw vs spout vs sport cap vs ... yeah. Lots of stuff. For me it all come down to activity. At work I like to drink from the bottle so that I get more down. In my truck, since I don't like to dribble water down my front, I like a straw or sport cap.

4) Material ~ The water at work tastes horrible. I know you might roll your eyes when you read that, but it's true. When you're a country girl, drinking country water, it's hard to get used to city water. I put flavoring in my water when at work. But at home, I like "raw" water so I don't want my water bottle to still taste like yesterday's fruit punch flavoring. Icky. Metal is therefore my material of choice as it's less likely to hold the flavor.

5) Colors and Style ~ It must look pretty or cool. I know ... silly. But sooooo true. And you're lying to yourself if you don't admit that this is important to you too. :)

So after breaking all this down, I settled on Klean Kanteen bottles. I gotta tell ya, they're awesome (and available cheaper through Amazon.com)! I love having different caps that I can switch out when needed, no left-over-fruit-flavoring taste, and they all "fit" just right.

Me and my Klean Kanteen water bottles are officially in process of living happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping me a note!