Friday, May 29, 2009

Tivo and The Diet

I think every dieter needs Tivo.

I know that's kind of a weird statement but I think Tivo is a huge diet helper.

I mean, have you ever noticed how many food commercials there are? Last night I was watching "So You Think You Can Dance" (hey, stop laughing!) and I think every other commercial was of pizza, or subway, or McDonalds, or Burger King. It was crazy!

As a food addict, those ads can certainly be a trigger. It might not trigger me to go to McDonalds, but my stomach does start rumbling, my mouth starts watering, and my brain starts inventorying my pantry hoping for a tasty morsel.

I generally only watch my Tivo and have gotten so used that fast forwarding through commercials that I guess I wasn't aware of how much food is advertised on the TV. According to one report (when I find the link I'll post it but can't seem to track it down of course), junk food ads equate to 2/3rds of the advertising on TV.

Holy cow! Us dieters don't stand a chance!

It's hard not to give into those temptations when we're sitting on the couch attempting to relax. In the olden days (this was SOOO last year), while watching TV I would have popcorn on my lap, then maybe a beer or two, then perhaps some leftover pizza (if there was any leftover in the first place), and whatever else I could scrounge from the pantry. Sitting on the couch and watching TV was an excuse to stuff my face. And I sat on the couch a lot!

These days are different. First of all, I rarely watch TV. When I do, I've made it a point NOT to eat ... ever. I wanted to break that habit completely.

This whole new strategy is a lot easier when I'm not bombarded with temptation through the TV set!

I battled through my watering mouth and didn't indulge last night but it truly was a battle. For me, I think it's best to stick with Tivo so that I don't have to be faced with those ads so unexpectedly.

I mean, how rude!

And thank goodness for Tivo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping me a note!