Monday, May 4, 2009

Pictures Speak 1,000 Words

Don't you just hate pictures of yourself?

I know I do.

I don't think I look too terribly bad ... but then I see a picture and it's always a little wake-up call. I'm instantly beating myself up for being fat, not being tan enough (yes, I'm translucent), having too many wrinkles, not wearing the right clothes, or having the right hairdo. Then, of course, the tendency is to give into the negative self-talk and believe all that icky stuff which only leads to further problems and the cycle continuing.

All of that is changing for me though. There are actually a couple pics of me now that I actually don't totally hate and although I can't say I LOVE them, the fact that I'm not repulsed by my own image is huge for me.

The latest pic (posted here and it's a cell phone pic so it's a little grainy) was from a great horse ride I took last weekend. It was a great ride with awesome views and awesome friends.

I like that my horse doesn't look pained. He's tired from running (full out running which was a BLAST!) up a really big mountain, but he's not stumbling under my weight and I think he actually enjoyed himself for the most part.

I like that I don't look at this pic and think, "wow, look how fat I am!" But instead think, "WOW, look how far I've come!"

I like that I'm doing something I love and truly lovin' it without worrying about silly things. I'm living in the moment on this ride.

I like that I'm seeing this as the middle of my journey and instead of a miserable future, I'm seeing something awesome out there in front of me filled with many more rides, many more adventures, and many more good pictures!

Hmm... on second thought, perhaps I do love this picture after all!

In fact, I think I need to print it out and tape it to the fridge. Change IS happening!

3 comments:

  1. I look at it and think, "WOW look how far she's come" too! I'm so proud of you! You look amazing and your attitude reflects how you feel as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to the day when I can look at my picture without all those negative voices. Also when there are pictures of me to look at in "My pictures" They are few and far between these days!
    Enjoy the changes they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, HarpsNW - You know, it's never too late to start getting pics of yourself. I really wish I had more of me when I was starting out the journey. Even though they are hard to look at, it's a good reminder of what I don't want to be again. Anyway, just my two cents. :) I bet you'll have awesome pics of yourself in no time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!