Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Foods

My old favorite foods were covered in either cheese or chocolate. I loved breads and pastas. A typical day for me used to be as follows:
  • Breakfast - Starbucks Mocha and Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
  • Lunch - Pasta (calzone) or Mexican (Fajitas)
  • Dinner - Pizza (bring on that cheesy goodness) or Burger from a drive thru which was then followed by ice cream or some other sugary treat.

And on holiday weekends, well, let's just say there was more bad food scattered throughout the day. A few potato chip snacks, friend-party-BBQ's and beer, etc.

I don't even want to add up the number of calories I consumed on a daily basis. Geesh. It hurts to think about!

But, boy, have things changed!

My new favorite foods are fresh, wholesome, and healthy.

In planning for the Memorial Day weekend, I wanted my fridge stocked in goodies but not the kind of goodies that used to be lurking in there. No, this time I opted for fresh treats that I don't generally buy (mainly because of price) but that I love.

Here are just a few of my favorite treats for the weekend:

  • Fresh blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries
  • Fresh pineapple
  • Organic baby spinach
  • Fat-free whipped topping (2 tablespoons goes a long way when blended with fruit and yogurt!)
  • Pomegranate berry yogurt by Dannon light and fit ... best yogurt ever and only 80 calories!
  • Fresh asparagus for the grill
  • Rosemary springs and chicken for the grill ... alongside the asparagus! (recipe on THW site)
  • Pumpkin and fat free milk for Pumpkin Custard (recipe in THW book)
  • Melba snacks - roasted garlic - yummy!

Having fun foods in my fridge gets me excited about the weekend and instead of wondering how I'm going to pass up all those other things, I start getting excited about making my own good things.

I hope that you all have a successful and fun Memorial Day! What kinds of foods did you stock up on so that you could be successful over the holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping me a note!