Friday, May 1, 2009

Instant Weight Loss Pill

Did anyone catch Oprah yesterday? I did ... thanks to Tivo!

There were so many times during that show that I just wanted to jump through the screen and say to both Oprah and to Kirstie Alley ... "HEY! You guys soooooo need The Healthy Weigh"!!!!

At one point Kirstie was talking about her addictions. She said she was addicted to drugs, then smoking and now food. Ding! Ding! Ding! She's got it!

When I realized this (thanks to Letha's workshops), it was like a light bulb went off in my head. Literally. I think the room got brighter and stuff. Anyway.

Knowing my issue with food was an addiction meant that there would be no pill that would "cure" my addiction. Just as alcoholics couldn't take a pill to suddenly not want a drink, dieters couldn't take a pill to suddenly not want to eat. There were and are no addiction magic fairies.

Food is the drug we use when we don't to feel or deal (hey, I rhymed! yeah me!).

It's so interesting that we recognize this on some level and yet we're all out looking for the "magic pill" to help us lose this weight. 'Cause, I mean, if it was this easy to put on, shouldn't it be that easy to take off??? That used to be my thinking anyway and it was reflected by Kristie during the conversation with Oprah.

It's crazy really to think of how much food is tied to our emotions. In fact, this very thing is playing out in my life right now.

This weekend I'm going to visit my grandpa that has cancer. His cancer has spread quickly and drastically. I just keep thinking that this might be the last time I'll be able to spend time with him. And those thoughts make me want to run to Godfathers so that I don't have to feeeeeeeeeeel. Ugh. Feeling. That's so darn hard!

It seems so fitting that there's a class this weekend on emotional eating. Hmmm... think I should attend that one? So, yes, the current plan is to head to that class, get my dose of inspiration and coping tools, and then head North to see my grandpa.

After many yo-yo diets, pills, plans, and fads, I've learned that there is no easy fix. I put this weight on one painful mouthful at a time and it must come off one painful emotion at a time.

This is the most weight I've lost. This is the best I've felt in my life. And I know that if I can tackle the emotional roots of my eating issues, then I'll be successful in making this the last time I struggle with my weight.

Anyway, if you're interested in going to the class, I think there are still spots left. I think ... :)

I hope you can make it because all of us can be successful if we put in the time and effort now. Wouldn't it be nice to never deal with this weight again? To have the tools necessary to free ourselves from the extra pounds and emotional baggage?

Phewie. Now that sounds like fun! I'm in!

See ya there!

2 comments:

  1. As always...thanks for your honesty. I'm thrilled that you are coming to class before you leave tomorrow, and yes...there are still a few spots left.
    Inspired by you ~
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more reason to avoid those "Magic Pills".
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_he_me/us_med_diet_pill_recall

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!