Monday, May 11, 2009

Healthy Hospitals?

I've spent a lot of the last weekend in a hospital in Olympia visiting with my grandpa and family.

Now, you'd think that at hospitals, one would find a plethora of healthy food options.

For some reason, I thought instead of chocolate bars, chips, and gummy worms in the vending machine, I'd find fresh apples, oranges, and cottage cheese as healthy snack options. I also thought there would be a HUGE salad bar with tons of fresh veggies in the cafeteria. I had visions of steaming grilled chicken and roasted veggies complimented by a fresh salad on the side. Sounds like a nice dinner, right?

After my little talk with Glenda and Letha, I had planned ahead and brought all my normal snacks (rice cakes, apples, etc.) and most of my meals but I also assumed I could grab a hot meal in the cafeteria at least once a day that would be on plan.

It turns out that this particular hospital wasn't exactly catering to healthy eating.

Instead of a robust salad bar and grilled chicken, I found a donut bar and deli with deep fried jo-jos, french fries, and fried chicken.

Really? Hmmm ... I smelled a serious case of comfort food.

There was a small - very small - salad bar that featured wilted lettuce, mushy tomatoes, and slimy green peppers. The yogurt in the fridge case wasn't lowfat so the calorie count was through the roof. The fruit looked like it had been sitting out way too long. And there wasn't a piece of grilled anything in sight as most of it was fried or slathered in oil.

I obviously didn't have many options so I suffered through a slimy, wilted, mushy salad and tried to grin and bear it.

As I plugged my nose and downed what I could for sustinance, I couldn't help but think that there was more than a little irony in the fact that even a hospital had bought into the comfort food theory.

I'm sure they are just stocking the foods that sell well. Hospitals are notoriously icky places for the most part and so for many of us while at such a place, comfort food is on the brain. The cafeteria probably stocks up and most likely sells out of these "comforty" foods. All the while the poor salad bar gets very little attention. Hence the wilted lettuce, mushy tomatoes, and slimy green peppers.

How cool though that I made a healthy choice in the face of such temptation. After my little trip-up on Thursday, I was bound and determined to make it through the weekend with renewed focus and determination. I was so tempted by the donuts but I turned them down and instead opted for a bruised red apple. Not as appetizing but I sure did feel better about myself afterward.

I felt stronger having resisted the urge to splurge. I felt empowered (see, I do use that cool feeling wheel!) for taking responsibility for myself and my eating. I was also proud for not giving into the many "excuses" I could have used to go off plan during an emotionally charged weekend where excuses and opportunities came at me around every corner.

This weekend represented another small victory in my battle with my weight even though I don't know yet if the numbers will go down. Regardless of that fact though, I kicked some serious temptation butt and I'm therefore celebrating the victory!

Today I'm happy to be back home where the food choices are all on plan. As prescribed by my THW friends, my reward or doing well with healthy eating choices over the weekend was a day of relaxing and me-time.

It was a great reward and I feel renewed, centered, and ready for the week.

Now, let's bring on that 100 pound thing already, right?

Happy Monday, friends!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear you came through the weekend victorious despite the food challenges. Hey and no quickee marts or drive thru....big high five!!! I don't know if you've seen the commercial where the guy pulls into the drive thru and orders up a good binge and when he pulls up it his trainer! Now I can't get this picture of Letha's face every time I have a thought of driving thru!! Drive thrus are a good part of what fed my weight gain and poor health. I've made a decision.....big kung foo slash with not one but BOTH hands that if I cannot park the car and order inside there will be no ordering. Since I know I won't do that I'm abstaining from the evil drive thru....because, like the vending machine mantra....no good can come of it!! There may be healthy choices on the menu, but the odds are against my making that healthy choice...at least for now.
    I am so so glad you got to have a day for yourself to recenter and take care of you. You are going to be at that 100LB victory before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear you came through the weekend victorious despite the food challenges. Hey and no quickee marts or drive thru....big high five!!! I don't know if you've seen the commercial where the guy pulls into the drive thru and orders up a good binge and when he pulls up it his trainer! Now I can't get this picture of Letha's face every time I have a thought of driving thru!! Drive thrus are a good part of what fed my weight gain and poor health. I've made a decision.....big kung foo slash with not one but BOTH hands that if I cannot park the car and order inside there will be no ordering. Since I know I won't do that I'm abstaining from the evil drive thru....because, like the vending machine mantra....no good can come of it!! There may be healthy choices on the menu, but the odds are against my making that healthy choice...at least for now.
    I am so so glad you got to have a day for yourself to recenter and take care of you. You are going to be at that 100LB victory before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps!! Hit publish twice
    Patience Grass hoppa!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!