Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Excuses Excuses

I was a notorious excuse giver. Give me a second and I could come up with just about any reason there ever was as to why I couldn't even think about losing weight.

I didn't call them excuses though. I called them "reasons". Those little reasons were the things that so many times controlled my life and stopped me from reaching my goals. Any goal really whether related to weight loss or not.

Here are just a few of my so-called reasons:

  • I'm too busy and there's no way I can fit one more thing into my schedule.
  • It was (is) only 100 (or 200 or 300) calories so I can eat it and it won't hurt me.
  • I read somewhere, at some point, that eating hamburgers is actually good for you. I just can't remember when or where that was but I know I read it so it has to be true.
  • I'll just have a few extra bites cause I deserve it!
  • I'll make the workouts a priority tomorrow. Today I just need to relax.
  • This whole "getting healthy" thing costs way too much money!
  • It's been a hard year, month, week, day, hour, minute and therefore I deserve to eat whatever I want whenever I want to.
  • People need to accept me as I am and therefore I don't care if they think I'm fat. I'm happy with myself .... I think ... sometimes I am anyway. Oh, where's that ice cream?

When eating right and taking care of myself became a priority, the excuses stopped making sense and I realized that they were just that ... excuses.

The reality is that when I made health a priority in my life, there were no more excuses that held water.

If I went out to dinner with friends, I had a choice and could eat healthy. If everyone else was drinking wine, I could order a diet drink. If I felt like I couldn't fit one more thing into my schedule, I could prioritize (say no to some unhealthy things) and fit that workout in after all. And, when I truly did deserve a reward, I could find one that would fill me up longer than a donut could attempt to do.

Now, when I hear others offering up a million and one reasons as to why they can't or won't get healthy, I flash back to my old excuses and feel so blessed to be free of that faulty reasoning.

Life is what we make it so let's make it exactly what we want it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping me a note!