Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Steppin' Out in Public

When I first heard about the Team Weight Loss Challenge my thought was "Cool, but that's sooooo not something I would ever do."

Then when I heard that the teams would be weighing in front of a room full of people, I thought "Oh my gosh ... That is REALLY soooooo not something I would ever do!"

Just to give you some perspective, when I started at The Healthy Weigh, I didn't want to know my actual weight. Somehow to me, putting an actual number to my weight made it real. It was scary, unmanageable and depressing.

I had little tricks to help me along the way like standing backwards on the scale so that I didn't see the numbers. The ladies at the clinic covered my chart with post-its so that I didn't need to be exposed to the numbers when I sat down to talk with them. And my overall weight loss was tracked in total pounds lost ... not actual weight.

This process continued until I hit the 60 pound mark where I finally, sheepishly, turned and faced who I really was and had been, knowing it was not who I was going to be.

Yesterday, there I was, butterflies in my stomach as the room filled up with other challenge participants. I had visions of Letha calling my team to the front of the room, me standing on the scale, and a big booming announcers voice screaming out "TWO-HUNDRED-THIRTEEN POUNDS" as the numbers also flashed across a big screen so that those in the back could see. Think of the weigh-ins on the Biggest Loser only bigger, louder, and on larger screens. Theater size. Yeah ... I was freakin'!

Of course, that's not how it happened at all. No one in that room would have known my weight had I not just posted it on the blog ... yes, I ratted my own self out!

But what progress, right?

I'm sure there were others in the room that were worried about this same thing.

So, I just gotta say, all of us challenge people rock! Seriously, we do! Yeah us for following through on something that we otherwise could have used as an excuse not to lose this weight.

We will have succeeded whether or not we actually take home the money at the end of this thing.

Although, admittedly, I'm kinda sorta bankin' on the cash. My team FLAB-U-LESS partner and I could use a bit of clothes-shopping-cash for our Seattle trip!

Anyway, I digress.

I would love to know from you guys what inspired you to take the leap and step on the scales for this challenge. What fears did you have and how did you push past them?

Until next time!

5 comments:

  1. Inspiration for stepping on the scale and joining the challenge? Shorts and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,
    I am so proud of you and your determination. You will reach your goal and you are a inspiration to many people. Your Spirit is wonderful.
    Love Ya Bling

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock. Seriously, what else is there to say?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather RichardsonApril 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM

    My motivation: F-R-E-E-D-O-M!!! Victory over a battle so much bigger than myself!
    Wendy, I commend you for doing this blog. I started the same sort of thing on my myspace page a little over a year ago....then recently have written little blurbs on my Facebook page.
    Though my battle isn't quite over, I am nearing the finish line, and in my long journey discovered that being willing to be open and blatant about my weaknesses allowed other people the freedom to speak up on theirs and finally seek help. By us being open books on this blog forum, we empower others to embrace personal victories as well. If I succeed and bring even one person with me, that is priceless!!
    Each of our battles that lead us to be overweight vary - for anyone reading this, hear me out, "I GET IT!" I have lived in a personal prison myself. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! We may be competing against each other, but the biggest advantage of this whole challenge is acknowledging we aren't alone in our battle and we have TREMENDOUS power to uplift and encourage others! We are each others cheer coaches. Our time is NOW! I commend each and EVERY one of you for taking this giant leap of faith - the reward will be amazing & timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather: You know, I've gotta tell you, you were one of the first "losers" that inspired me.

    At the goal setting seminar, when you whipped out that pic of you eating a burger, told us how much you had lost and what you were aiming for, I was in awe. I just remember thinking ... "Wow, could I do that too????" I literally soaked up what you had to say about your progress and how far you'd come.

    I appreciated you sharing then, as I do now, and can't wait until we all accomplish our goals!

    Yeah us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping me a note!