Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Exercise? Really?

Ok, so I'm not a big fan of sweating.

In fact, when I started at The Healthy Weigh, I told myself that I was going to "try" to lose this weight but if they even mentioned exercise I would high-tail it out the door before they roped me in to such torture because I would not ... and I was serious ... be doing anything that made me sweat.

I took Letha's workshops and when she got to the Exercise and Weight Loss class ... I wanted to plug my ears with cotton and refuse to acknowledge that I was going to need to, at some point, step it up a notch in order to carry on.

My good friend Andrea, who has always been a fitness buff, has tried everything in the book to get me to go to the gym with her and I've had every excuse in the book as to why I just couldn't fit a gym into my schedule.

Amazing how 95 pounds and the enticement of $1000 can change that perspective!

On Friday, my friend Holly and I signed up for personal training and today was my first session. Let me tell ya, that trainer kicked our butts! Here I was thinking burpees sounded kinda cute ... doing 20 of them in repetition... yeah, not so cute!

The funny thing is that when Holly and I left our first apt I said to her that I hoped the trainer would be able to push us and really work us out.

Yeah, soooo not a problem! That little pipsqueak made us sweat! A lot!

Ironically, I'm looking forward to our next session.

The truth is that at 300 pounds, exercising was more than work. It was painful. Walking to the car seemed like an impossibility let alone two, three, or even four miles just for the heck of it. I didn't want to do anything that reminded me of how heavy I was. Nor did I want to look like a fool in public and have people pity the poor fat girl that couldn't do something or other. Going to the gym and seeing people thinner than I was, was just a reminder to me of how much of a failure I was. So, I just avoided it all.

I find it exhilarating to be doing those things now. The fact that I can haul butt on a walk, ride my bike around Battle Ground Lake, jog up the hill with my dog, or even have the confidence to walk into a gym ... those things all still amaze and inspire me.

The personal trainer will be working with us on strength training which she says will help us drop weight quickly. I'm banking on that because I still have my sights set on winning that Team Weight Loss Challenge!

In the meantime though, it will be nice to firm up what 95 pounds has left a little saggy. Yes, I know, TMI.

Perhaps tank tops and shorts are more of a reality than I thought ... Summer, here I come!

As a side note: Shape Magazine has a quick tool for counting calories burned. It doesn't list all activities ... but it's a good place to start!

1 comment:

Thanks for dropping me a note!